Reasons why Filipinos Send Balikbayan Box
Balikbayan boxes is famous among Filipinos, it plays a cultural significance, the practice of pasalubong, where balikbayans are culturally expected to bring home gifts to families and friends in the Philippines. It is also the trademark of Pinoys working abroad.
Five Reasons Why Filipinos Send Balikbayan Box
- Filipinos loved to send nearly anything that can fit and that the recipient would like regardless if the items are bought cheap in the Philippines such as non-perishable food, toiletries, household items, electronics, toys, designer clothing, or items hard to find in the Philippines.
- Balikbayan boxes are another way of bringing items to the Philippines if avoiding expensive courier rates and excess baggage fees the international airline charged.
- It is affordable and convenient for Filipinos abroad who wish to bring bulk items to the Philippines for business purposes like RTW’s, imported bags, shoes and other saleable items. The downside is primarily the long wait before it gets to its destination. Since a ship brings it to the country, it takes anywhere from three to eight weeks before it gets delivered. Often times, Manila-bound boxes reach their destinations faster than those going to the provinces.
- The Philippine Bureau of Customs allowed tax-free entry of personal goods in the country from Filipino overseas, this encouraged a lot of Filipino Overseas Workers to send boxes of goods regularly containing bargained, branded or imported goods or anything which are not readily available in the Philippine market that OFW have the chance to introduce to their loved ones tax free.
- The balikbayan box is a symbol of love for OFW and all Filipinos around the world. It is their trademark of showing thoughtfulness and generosity regardless how difficult their situation in working overseas they still manage to shop, collect and send items to surprise their loved ones back home.
As the Yuletide season is approaching, it is time for Filipinos working overseas to start filling the balikbayan box for another things full of surprises, love and care.