A lot of skilled Filipinos are making decision to migrate and work in Australia. One of the top city to consider is Canberra and its surrounding areas as the Australian immigration is relatively generous in inviting skilled migrants to regional Australian Capital Territory.
If you are one of these Pinoys, then read on.
Canberra is the Capital of Australia. It’s a green inland city between Sydney and Melbourne. It is also called the Bush Capital because of the natural vegetation within the city.
It is a convenient place to be based for migrants due to the abundance of work opportunities and the fact that it is only 3 hours driving distance to Sydney and 6 hours driving distance to Melbourne. The weekly average full time income in Canberra is at AUD $1,639 – relatively higher than Australia’s average at $1,393 Australian Dollars. That is 55,726 pesos per week if we assume 34 pesos per every dollar exchange rate!
Canberra has a population of 381,488 with 25% of it migrants from countries like the Philippines, India, China and European countries. A growing number of international student is also deciding to study in Canberra over other Australian cities.
If you are reading this page, you are probably either about to apply to migrate to Canberra or just received your Australian visa and deciding where to base yourself.
Here are essential things you will have to know to anticipate your lifestyle when living in Canberra:
- Canberra is a quiet and green city. This city will suite you if you prefer living in the country or provinces than populated city areas
- There is 7.2 hour annual daily average of sunshine in Canberra compared to 6.6 hours in Sydney , 5.7 hours in Melbourne and 7.2 hours in Adelaide. So if you love daylight this city is for you!
- The median age of the population is 34 years old. So if you are on your late 20s and early 30s then this is your city.
- A quarter of Canberra’s population is born outside Australia, this makes it multicultural and open to migrants like yourself.
- The average weekly commute time in Australian Capital Territory is only at 3 hours and 30 minutes compared to 5 hours and 45 minutes in Sydney and 4 hours and 48 minutes in Melbourne.
- There is a Filipino community in Canberra , a Filipino Radio Station. Philippine Embassy, and various Philippine restaurants