1. Australia has a population of 22 million people.
2. Australia’s national anthem is Advance Australia Fair.
3. The slang name for an Australian is an Aussie.
4. Indigenous Australians are called Aborigines.
5. Australia is also one of the driest continents on earth with an average annual rainfall of less than 600 millimetres.
6. Australia has 6 states, one of it is on an island. It also has 2 major mainland territories.
7. Their national sport is cricket.
8. Australians drive on the left side of the road.
9. Australia is a continent, an island and a country.
10. Australia has more than 10,000 beaches.
11. Australia’s national anthem is called “Advance Australia Fair.”
12. Australia’s seasons are the opposite of those in the northern hemisphere. When it’s winter in Australia, it’s summer in the United States.
13. Australian is a multicultural society made up of people from a rich variety of cultural, ethnic, linguistic and religious backgrounds.
14. Australia has more than 378 mammal species, 828 bird species, 4000 fish species, 300 species of lizards, 140 snake species, two crocodile species and around 50 types of marine mammal.
15. Australia’s best-known animals are the kangaroo, koala, platypus and spiny anteater.
16. Australia’s national day is on 26th of January.
17. Australia’s money is made of plastic (polymer).
18. The Australian coastline totals 36,735 kilometres.
19. Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the longest coral reef in the world, extending over 2,012.5 kilometres.
20. Australia is the only English-speaking country to have made voting compulsory in federal and state elections. It results in a voter turnout of 95 per cent.
main image from Pixabay.